Monday, January 25, 2016

Being a Sweet Spot® Skirt Seamer



The women in my family have been sewing since approximately the beginning of time! There is a good possibility that the majority of them were born with either a pair of scissors or a needle and thread in their hands. It’s in my blood and I honestly don’t think there was much chance of me avoiding the urge to cut, stitch and create wonderful things!



My great-grandma made hand sewn quilts, using old warn out clothes to complete her designs; she made my grandma’s wedding dress, and she could mend and darn clothing beautifully. My grandmother made clothes for her four kids. My mom sewed her own wedding dress and the dresses for her bridesmaids, and I grew up watching her make clothes for my brothers and me, outfits for our dolls and stuffed animals, and gifts for family and friends. I got my first (pretend) sewing machine when I was ­­­­­­­­­­­about five or six years old; a yellow plastic, battery powered My Little Pony number that I spent hours playing with. When I was twelve, I finally got to use my mom’s “real” sewing machine! I made an apron for my grandmother’s birthday; it had purple pansies on it with gold details. I was so proud of myself! But sitting there that day, working so hard to make that gift for my grandma, I never imagined that someday I would be sewing for a living!


Fast forwarding a few more years than I’d really like to admit, and I found myself the stay at home mom of a toddler and in need of a job! Not a “real” job, but something that would allow me to earn a few extra bucks to help support our family, but still let me stay home with my precious little girl. That’s when I met Stephanie Lynn and Sweet Spot® Skirt, and my whole life changed! My spare bedroom became my “workshop”, my spare time became my “work hours” and I felt good about being able to contribute to our financial situation. And it was only a matter of time before working for a company that makes and sells running skirt would ignite a fire in me that would turn me into a runner!


I love being Sweet Spot® Skirts Seamer! I take immense pride in working for a local company, knowing that all of our products are made in the USA, by women like me. It’s been awesome watching this company grow from a handful of at-home seamers like myself, sewing the classic athletic skirt, to a full-blown production company, with a whole line of woman’s athletic wear, a flagship store and our products featured in a leading outdoors retailor!  I love that I can go to work in my jammies if I want to and I can work when it’s convenient for me (9pm to midnight are very productive hours in my workshop!)  I feel fortunate that I get to earn a paycheck by doing something I actually enjoy doing, and doing it for a company I actually believe in. But most of all, I love that I haven’t had to trade in being a stay at home mom for being a working woman. I’ve never had to make the choice between going to work or staying at home with a sick child. I’ve never been late to pick her up from school because a work meeting ran long. I’ve never had to miss a dance class, girl scouts meeting or church activity because of work. And for that I am forever grateful!! My job is a blessing that I don’t take for granted. 


Thank you Stephanie Lynn for giving me a job that means so much more to me than just a paycheck (though getting paid is nice, too!) And thank you loyal customers for loving our product, for valuing what we do and what we stand for and for and keeping me employed! I’m pretty sure I work for one of the best companies in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment