Thursday, December 1, 2011

Sweet Spot Scrappy Quilts

You never know when a good idea is going to hit you!  During our first year of business, I couldn’t bear to see the scraps of material from the skirts go to waste.  So we saved them.  I thought if we sewed them all together we could make bright colored purses and fun items to go with the skirts.  However, that was way too labor intensive to even come close to making a profit, plus my Seamers were far too busy making skirts. 
Last Summer on my Montana/Idaho Sweet Spot Skirt tour, I reconnected with a favorite Cousin Jean who just happens to live in Deaver WY!  Let me tell you about that side of the family!  They are sooooo talented, creative, over the top with energy and super fun to be around.  Since I was a little girl they would get together as a family and do some of the most awesome and crazy creative things.  
Jean used to be a school teacher and in her retirement has taken up quilting.  She proclaims to be a novice and not a professional but the people who have received her quilts seem to LOVE LOVE LOVE them.  Jean and I think it is cool that she is the “green arm” of the company.  Wasting not one drop of this precious cotton!  We are also cousins and as the story goes I believe “double cousins.”  I am not certain to the genealogy rules, but somewhere in the family line up brothers married sisters…. which leads to Double Cousins.  Anyway Jean is a great addition to the Sweet Spot Team and her works of art are appreciated so much.  
Here are our quilts and where they have gone!
IMG_2197
Meet Cousin Jean!  She delivered this quilt to me in Red Lodge MT.  It is called Sweet Spots Around the world!  Each quilt is named and signed.
photosweet spots around the world
The next quilt is called Steph’s Sweet Cabin!  This quilt was given to my long time biking  friend David.  He endures my crazy ideas every day and was there the very moment that I said… I am going to make a biking skirt and call it “Sweet Spot Skirts.”  He is an avid biker and keeps me on my wheels even in the face of crazy busy times!
12
We put the next quilt in a silent auction and it went second highest in the bidding!  The charity that we chose to give our proceeds to is the local (Deaver WY) Crisis Center.  It's non-profit and really needs help.  They are a home for (mostly) women and children who have to escape a dangerous home situation.  Great Job Sweet Spot Skirts Scraps and Cousin Jean!  Below is the recipient Julie, who was so excited to get her quilt!  This quilt is called Sweet Spot Strings!
scan0001
Even though Jean proclaims to be a novice… that quilt looks pretty top-notch!  Thank you Julie for supporting our Scrappy Skirt Quilt Project! 
We have a few more quilts that are coming out of the “hopper”  some are gifts for those who have been so helpful to Sweet Spot Skirts and some are used to make money for local charities.  Thank you for reading this…. it is so important for us as a small business to STAY in the USA and to continue to “give back” as opportunities present themselves!
Cousin Jean….. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!
“Changing the world one Skirt at a time”
Stephanie

2 comments:

  1. As a runner and quilter, I just love this. Jean's quilts are as gorgeous as your skirts are cute!! So glad I stumbled upon your website!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love the quilts they are so much fun and made from just the scraps....gives us a bit of green to our company!

    ReplyDelete